Thursday, 28 May 2015

Not My Best Moment

Image "Coco"  by Andy Rennie
I'd just awakened from an afternoon nap when the doorbell rang. I went to the door, opened it, and stood gawping at the person at the door. Absolutely no thought went through my head and no words went through my mouth. I was in an utterly moronic state. My hair was mussed, my clothes were rumpled and my eyes still had that just awakened look.

At the door was our newspaper girl. She was, not surprisingly, non-plussed by my demeanor. She, very hesitantly, mentioned she "was collecting" and it was only then that I clued in.

I felt so bad. Can you picture it: you're a young girl, dressed for summer, collecting for newspaper delivery. You ring a customer's doorbell, and who should come to answer your ring but a 50-something, dishevelled old man, overweight, mouth hanging open staring at you with a blank imbecility.

I'm shocked she didn't run in terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment