Sunday, 19 April 2015

Another Group of Three - Pt 1

Image by Rakkar
Introversion and Me

This is Part 1 of a three-part series. Each post can be read independently of the others; however, if you would like to see the full series, click for Part 2 and Part 3.


Years ago, a friend convinced me to complete an MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) questionnaire.  Now, even then I knew myself pretty well so I really didn't see the point.  But it was a good friend, so I caved and went ahead.


The results weren't surprising.  In the end, I was typed as INTJ (with the I coming in at 89%) which meant that I was very much an introvert.  This I knew.  I'm the guy who goes to the party and stays in the corner, or goes to the bar and stays at the table.  I hate small-talk (I'm horrible at it) but will gladly sit down with you and have a conversation.  Give me a book, a quiet space and a coffee (or a beer), and I'm in a happy place!

More recently, I read 15 Signs You're An Introvert, Even If You Don't Feel You Are with my son.  He was surprised at how many of these signs (14 out of 15) applied to me.  The odd one out used to apply to me but other factors negated its influence (more on that in another post).

Social events are very stressful to me.  Even though I sit in the corner or stay at the table, the chaos and noise surrounding me can be overwhelming.  My choice to sit back is not being standoffish or aloof but is an attempt to cope with the mass of stimuli coming at me!  At the end of events like these, I need some "me time" to unwind and recharge.  This means I tend to isolate myself and balance the over stimulation with some quiet.

My preference is to be by myself.  I can be by myself in a Timmy's simply by reading an ebook while sipping my coffee and chomping on my donut.  This gives me the best of both worlds - comfortable socializing by limiting the chaos and a personal space that is respected.

FYI, my ideal job, according to various aptitude tests I've been subjected to, is to work in a nice, and very quiet, library!

For more on introversion, please read Susan Cain's wonderful book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking

http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/about-the-book/

or Laurie Helgoe's equally as informative Introvert Power

http://www.drlauriehelgoe.com/introvertpower.html


This is Part 1 of a three-part series. Each post can be read independently of the others; however, if you would like to see the full series, click for Part 2 and Part 3.

3 comments:

  1. I like the new background theme. Good luck with this blog, I hope it fullfills what you expected of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I've got a few ideas to explore so please visit again and see what's new.

      Delete
  2. Good job adding more photo's although the 3 head one will be sure to give me nightmares 0_0

    ReplyDelete